How do I contact a City department?

Visit the staff directory to find all department contact information.

Where can I find the answers to my frequently asked questions?

Use the FAQs module to easily find answers to the questions you ask the most.

What positions are currently available?

We have our available jobs posted on this site. Access them by clicking on the following link:

Current Job Listings

What do the sirens mean?

The City of Kent has emergency sirens that are set off during emergency situations. Most often, they are set off when bad weather approaches or other hazardous conditions exist.

The sirens are tested twice a month, the first Wednesday of the month at 11 a.m, and the third Wednesday of the month at 6:30 p.m. The sirens run for three minutes.

When an actual emergency occurs, the sirens will run for nine minutes.

  • A Tornado Watch means conditions are right for a tornado to occur.
  • A Tornado Warning means a tornado has been sighted.

How do I report a power outage?

To report a power outage call the Ohio Edison Automated Outage Reporting Line at 888-544-4877.

To view a map of current outages, visit the Ohio Edison 24/7 Power Center map: 

When is my trash collection day?

Trash collection day varies street to street. Refer to the trash collection schedule by street. 

How do I pay my utility bill?

You may pay online through our online payment portal. You can make payments with credit card or e-check without having to pay a convenience fee. 

Additionally, if you would like to pay your water bill through direct debit, an authorization form is found in every issue of the Tree City Bulletin. 

How do I register to vote?

Find voter registration instructions along with additional information at the Portage County website

Where can I park downtown?

See our color coded map for parking options downtown. 

Where do I apply for a building permit?

Find residential and commercial building permits in our form center under the Building/Zoning/Site Work tab.

How do I contact City Staff?

View our Staff Directory to find contact information including address and phone numbers. 

How do I report a concern?

To report a concern, visit our online Citizen Center portal.

How do I pay a parking ticket?

Parking tickets may be paid at the Budget and Finance Department located at 930 Overholt Road or online at the citation portal. See detailed information at the Police Department website.

Do I need a permit to have a garage sale?

No, you do not need a permit. However, the City does request that you do not hold a garage sale for more than three days in a thirty-day period and that all signs are removed before 8:00pm on the last day of the sale.

What home repairs do I NOT need a permit for?

Minor reshingling, replacement of doors and windows of the same size, and vinyl siding.

How can I get a new recycle bin?

Information pertaining to bin delivery, pick-up times, and more can be retrieved from the Portage County Solid Waste Management District at 330-678-8808.

How do I sign up for recreation programs?

Visit the Kent Parks and Recreation website for information on youth and adult programs. 

Why do we need a snow parking ban?

A snow parking ban eliminates obstacles that hinder the ability of City plows to efficiently and completely clear streets of snow. When crews are able to fully plow the streets, traffic and emergency vehicles can move safely and easily throughout the City.

Who do I call for building inspections?

All building and zoning inspections, including those for Electrical, Heating and Air Conditioning and Plumbing permits are scheduled through Building Services and are in conjunction with the State of Ohio approval standards.

Contact Construction Clerk Sue Lynch to schedule your inspection and provide information on permitting costs.

Do I need a rental license if I am renting space in my home?

Yes. All housing rental units occupied by anyone other than family as defined by the City's Zoning Code must be licensed. The City of Kent Health Department licenses three family structures, rooming houses, and apartment buildings. The Community Development Department licenses rentals that are single family, two family, room rentals within a single or two family, and individually owned condominiums that are being rented. If you are unsure if your situation applies or have any questions, please let us know.

What should I do if the parking meter I'm at does not register my payment?

Please keep in mind that the credit card authorization is done via cellular service and may take several seconds to be approved. If your payment is still not registering whether it is coin or credit, the best option is to relocate. You may call the number displayed at the meter to report the issue, however, we are unable to ensure that you will not receive a ticket. Refunds are not available. Should you decide to park at a non-functioning meter and you receive a ticket, you may appeal the ticket through the portal on the Police Department’s website. The Police Department will obtain a meter report to determine if the meter was not functioning at the time you received the ticket and base the appeal decision on this report.